Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Sam Dobson vs. The State

Sam Dobson, who is part of the Free State Project in New Hampshire, was arrested on April 13th for challenging the legality of a sign prohibiting the use of cameras in the Keene District Court. Dobson visited the court with his video camera running and asked for a copy of the sign to verify if it was signed by the judge or not: it was not. Not that it matters, apparently, as there is no law in New Hampshire that allows a judge to arbitrarily restrict the use of cameras in a court.

The NolanChart.com gives a description of the incident:
Apparently not expecting to be arrested that day, Dodson wore a metal bracelet that had square edges. Naturally, when he was cuffed, these square edges began digging into the flesh of his wrist, causing bruises and lacerations. The arresting officers assumed Dodson was 'hamming it up' and/or attempting to agitate the Free Staters in the next room over. Keene police Sgt. Eliezer Rivera explained to a local newspaper that Dodson screamed every time a police officer touched him. It was only later that the police noticed Dodson's injuries, and readjusted the handcuffs.

Dodson was not booked, as he declined to give his name to the police. Throughout the arrest and the aborted booking process, Dodson refused to provide any information, submit to a TB test, or even walk. At no point was he belligerent or combative—and at no point was he cooperative. A hearing was held in Dodson's absense, and he was charged with three Class A misdemeanors carrying a sentence of up to three years in jail. Bail was set at $10,000.

Dodson is remaining silent. That is his right. Also among his rights are the rights to a speedy trial and the right to legal council. However, in Keene, NH, these rights are mutually incompatible—at least, insofar as they have been interpreted in Dodson's case. According to his captors, until Dodson abandons his right to remain silent, his rights to a speedy trial and to legal council have been suspended—indefinitely. Let me remind you, gentle reader, of Prof. Hoppe's definition of government above: "government is the ultimate arbiter, for the inhabitants of a given territory, regarding what is just and what is not".


Apparently, if you don't talk, you don't have rights.

On April 21st, Dobson had a friend transcribe a letter for him which has been posted on FreeKeene.com explaining what has happened after the initial arrest. Here's a portion:
I was quickly transported to the Cheshire Country Caging Facility. I was dragged into the visitation room. Before removing the handcuffs, I was told if I moved I would be sprayed. The sadist guard then suggested getting the taser. Luckily the man uncuffing me understood what I was doing and held my arm against my chest so I wouldn’t be tear gassed. I was eventually dragged into a holding cell in a noisy booking room where the lights were kept on 24 hours a day. I was once awoken to a 6′3″ imposing man barking questions. He didn’t like my answers and left. Some might consider these to be sleep deprivation tactics. I stayed there for 2 days without a toothbrush, toilet paper, or even soap. Until I scratched “FreeKeene.com, there is a better way” into the rubber wall of the holding cell. Then I was stripped out of my street clothes, dressed in prison orange, and moved into a solitary max-security cage called E Block, where I sit now on Thursday morning writing this. Yesterday I was delivered an order from Judicial Dictator Burke. Apparently they held a hearing without me. I’ve been charged with 3 Class A misdemeanors carrying up to 3 years in jail, with a $10,000 cash bail. The order says I have options; I can motion the court, hire a lawyer, bond out, etc. Only problem? The jail won’t allow me to use the phone, write a letter, petition the court, unless…I consent to their authority and tell them everything they want to know. You see, in New Hampshire, rights guaranteed by the government are only given to those who bow before the government’s authority. Otherwise, they are perfect willing to railroad me through the system, throw away 3 years of my life, cost the tazpayers over $100,000 dollars; all to be right about a system that boasts a 5% rehabilitation rate. Any animal trainer will tell you positive reinforcement is the way to change behavior. The current system is designed to control, restrict, anger, and enrage. When the prisoners lash out as expected, the state comes crashing down upon them. The lesson? The state’s authority cannot be challenged. “We will break you, so submit to our whims like a good slave.”

This brings me back to Burke’s order. All of the terms are subject to change if I’ll just consent, and he’s awaiting my response, which I can provide once I consent.

I’ve been on a hunger strike since I arrived. The guards are moving past their initial response of anger, to curiosity. They have started coming by asking why I won’t eat. I didn’t have an answer at first. I would simply tell them, “I’ll eat when I’m free.” Now I understand my motives. The state has taken away almost all of my freedoms. This is one of the few choices I have left. The fact is, I own me, at least until the state’s doctors decide they need to take that are from me as well.
On April 28th, FreeKeene.com posted a letter from a cell mate of Sam's describing the hunger strike and the treatment he is receiving:
I am writing this letter to make known to the outside some occurrances here regarding “Sam.” As you know “Sam” has been on a hunger strike…I believe, he has been on this strike since his arrest. Recently the correction officers here in jail have started a new strategy against Sam. At various times they are refusing to give him food. During the 3 times a day we are fed in jail, we line up and are each individually handed a tray of food by a corrections officer. Sam has been taking his tray, and after everybody is seated to eat, Sam gives his tray of food away to another inmate. Today, April 25 @11:30am, at lunch, when Sam approached to receive his tray of food he was refused. The corrections officer, officer Anderson, refused to give Sam a tray of food and Sam moved on and returned to his cell, without food while the rest of us sat down & ate. I have witnessed this type of incident happen to Sam several times before. Also, it must be said that this does not occur all the time.
It doesn't seem right for the officers to refuse to provide Sam food, regardless of whether or not he will eat it.

This is yet another sad incident in the United States justice system.

The Judge in question is known for his rational behaviour, as seen below:



For more insight into who Sam Dobson is, watch this:

3 comments:

Tardisious said...

Word is that Sam has been released today June 6 2009

Tardisious said...

sorry June 9

Josh said...

Thanks for letting me know!