Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Our New Camera

This Christmas Sarah and I had planned on spending little on each other and banking the cash towards a house. It didn't quite go as planned. Once we learned that the dish pattern Sarah has wanted since before I knew her was being discontinued, we rushed out and bought every dish we could find in that pattern from the two Bay stores in Halifax and the one in Moncton. We decided this would be our Christmas present to each other.

The only problem was that idea is that I can't play with dishes. Dishes are nice, and I like the pattern. They'll last a very long time and were probably worth the purchase. But I can't play with dishes.

This is what I can play with:



So during the boxing day sales it was marked down quite a bit and we decided to order one. Today, on my way out the door to work the camera was delivered. I opened it up as soon as I arrived at work and have been playing with it every since I've taken a lot of pictures with it, but this picture I took of Sarah while she was waiting for my break to start (kinda makes you wonder what I'm taking a break from) is the first one I'll keep:

10 comments:

Chris said...

Good quality. Is the body metal or plastic?

Now all you have to do is buy some nice lenses.

What kind of lens do you have now?

Josh said...

Its plastic.

Its an 18-55mm IS Lens. . lenses won't be coming anytime soon. . . i don't think. I've gotta learn how to use what I have.

I'm kinda interested in a battery grip though.

Douglas Porter said...

Its a pretty good lens for the cost. I've been using it for sixth months now.

A battery grip?

Josh said...

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10107141&catid=

Douglas Porter said...

Yeah, I need one of those.

Douglas Porter said...

Too bad you can't buy cameras locally!

Josh said...

Nope, but I trust Canon because millions of people world wide use their product without dieing!

Douglas Porter said...

"Nope, but I trust Canon because millions of people world wide use their product without dieing!"

Same logic the toys, Josh! And then, *POOF*, suddenly someone's child got sick from lead. *POOF*, we return to regulation because *POOF* the market failed.

Josh said...

"Same logic the toys, Josh! And then, *POOF*, suddenly someone's child got sick from lead. *POOF*, we return to regulation because *POOF* the market failed."

There's an assumption here that the job of the market is to protect each and everyone of us from the mistakes of each and everyone of us. Awfully utopian and completely ignores human nature. The market didn't "fail". Its not "the markets" job to protect people. When unfortunate accidents like that occur, if it was intentional the one at fault should be punished, and then the market will decide how to best react to the company at fault.

With Enron, the fraudsters were thrown in jail and the market took care of the stock.

Douglas Porter said...

"There's an assumption here that the job of the market is to protect each and everyone of us from the mistakes of each and everyone of us."

No, that assumption doesn't exist. People assume that it is the job of government to regulate. And when those on the right argue that the market will magically regulate itself, AND IT DOESN'T, people get a little pissed off the market evangelists for lying to them.

"Awfully utopian and completely ignores human nature. The market didn't "fail". Its not "the markets" job to protect people."

You're right. It is the job of government to regulate dangerous individuals.


"When unfortunate accidents like that occur, if it was intentional the one at fault should be punished, and then the market will decide how to best react to the company at fault."

You see, that's the problem. People don't want to regulate the offending company after the fact. THEY WANT THE FUCKING EVENT NOT TO HAPPEN IN THE FIRST PLACE> Just like the presence of the police assures that there is no anarchy and as a result less murders-etc, the presence of regulatory laws assures that fewer businesses will maim and kill people for whatever reason.