Thursday, January 8, 2009

Obama and His BlackBerry

As reported by the Huffingtonpost.com here, Obama had this to say to CNBC about losing his BlackBerry after inauguration:
I'm still clinging to my BlackBerry. They're going to pry it out of my hands.[...]

I don't know that I'll win, but I'm still--I'm still fighting it. And--but here's the point I was making, I guess, is that it's not just the flow of information. I mean, I can get somebody to print out clips for me, and I can read newspapers. What it has to do with is having mechanisms where you are interacting with people who are outside of the White House in a meaningful way. And I've got to look for every opportunity to do that--ways that aren't scripted, ways that aren't controlled, ways where, you know, people aren't just complimenting you or standing up when you enter into a room, ways of staying grounded.

9 comments:

Douglas Porter said...

Good for Obama.

Josh said...

Just sayin...the guy loves his BlackBerry.

Douglas Porter said...

I hope he's good enough to survive any scandal that arises from his Blackberry.

Josh said...

Meh, he'll be lucky if he lasts the 4 years anyway.

Douglas Porter said...

I think he's got a good chance. I think its pretty clear that deregulation and the free market are not working, which is why he won in the first place. The swing voters, you know, those who have lost their jobs..

Josh said...

lol he won because of the war.

Douglas Porter said...

"lol he won because of the war."

No, he won because of the economy, Josh. 4 million people becoming 12 dollar an hour stiffs tends to skew politics to the left that way.

Josh said...

"No, he won because of the economy, Josh. 4 million people becoming 12 dollar an hour stiffs tends to skew politics to the left that way."

Fair enough, but that doesn't mean he won because of deregulation. There has been no deregulation. The US suffers from over regulation. You still can't provide an instance of deregulation.

"the free market are not working"

The free market provided for the wealthiest middle class the world had ever seen. What is the free market failing at doing that it is supposed to be doing?

Douglas Porter said...

"Fair enough, but that doesn't mean he won because of deregulation. There has been no deregulation. The US suffers from over regulation. You still can't provide an instance of deregulation."

Not enforcing regulation is de facto deregulation.

"The free market provided for the wealthiest middle class the world had ever seen. What is the free market failing at doing that it is supposed to be doing?"

No, unionization caused that. We already established that the average worker was only making 16,000 dollars a year for an average family size of 7 in 1929.