Monday, January 26, 2009

A Day On The Ice



Sunday was my one day off this week. Saturday was supposed to be a day off as well, although, as normal, I was working. So, because I worked on Saturday, Sarah and I had a day planned of chores on Sunday. We needed to get groceries, to do laundry, there was school work, she wanted to clean the bathroom, we had a bit shopping to do, etc. A bunch of stuff to keep us busy for the day, but nothing that was overly enjoyable.

Fortunately, Saturday night, a friend of mine, Mike, gave us a call and invited us out to his girlfriend's lake to go skating. It has been too long since I've had the opportunity to skate on an open lake. I convinced Sarah we'd be able to do this and still get our chores done. I figured this would be a 1 hour thing; we go to the lake, skate around for awhile, get some much needed exercise, and then get on with the day.

Well, the chores didn't get done, which is okay, they weren't important. The entire day was spent skating on the lake. Once we got there, we met up with our friends and discovered the intention was to skate across the lake to Amanda's (the girlfriend) camp. It wasn't too far and it made for a great day. The ice had some rough patches, but it was smooth enough to make for some pleasant skating. The first strides on skates always feel the greatest, however the stamina I once had as a chubby 14 year old on skates is no longer with this chubby 25 year old.

Once we got to the other side we built a fire on the edge of the lake, warmed up a little bit and cooked some hot dogs. Amanda had a propane stove in the camp so we were even able to boil some water and enjoy some hot chocolate. Amanda's sister even brought some Bud Light out; not my favourite but it does the trick in a pinch. I turned an empty beer can into a hockey puck; it worked alright for a while, but the wind plays some mean defense.



It was a much needed simple day. We got a lot of exercise, took a lot of pictures, visited with some friends and enjoyed the outside. It was just what I needed and I couldn't have spent the day in a better way. I consider it my celebration for my recent promotion.

Anyway, this a slide show of some of the better photos I managed to take; still learning how to use the new camera.

4 comments:

Douglas Porter said...

The slide show is not working.

Josh said...

works fine for me

Douglas Porter said...

There it goes. Very nice.

Douglas Porter said...

You should realize that angles and proportion make attractive photos. Centered photos, while nice snapshots, are not beautiful unless the subject needed to be centered.